Why? I didn’t like the Kickstarter model’s face.
That said we’ll start with how I modified the Kickstarter model. This was done over 2 years ago so documentation may be a little spotty here.
• The kickstarter model
• Candy, Anime Heroine from Reaper
well, her head anyway.
First off, I lopped off their old head (I used an exacto blade though there are better tools for the job)
Then I did the same with the Heroine, but before I did I cut/shaved off as much of her hair as I could while she still had a neck to keep her head in place.
With that done I assembled the model adding greenstuff for hair and altering body proportions.
To make working with greenstuff easier I dip the tools I’m using in water (though there are other methods I hear), the hair was styled with the tip of an exacto blade.
Next up was the painting process:
I personally like having her order the Conquest around 😀
See a 360 GIF here
Was a fun project and useful on the field to boot.
So comes 2016 and they go Full warcaster!
I was going to be modifying them either way, gotta keep them in line with the Journeyman after all.
I was pumped to see that preview and when I did…
This project was gunna be more than just a head swap and putty job.
Some people have made this pose look at least justified but it’s a hard sell.
This is probably one of the better ways to go about it.
Anyway I got in line at Gencon, bought my Privateer goodies and got both my new Malakov and a Jakes for my brother.
Opening up the boxes and looking at the parts I REALLY wish I had bought 2 Jakes. Malakov’s arms work really well with Jakes, arguably better than her own arms. Tried to get another Jakes, no luck. So had to form a plan B.
This is Plan B:
The Concept, Malakov stepping over the body of a Winterguard (the Sucker) and is returning fire with a “Nice try” impression.
Parts List/Things needed:
• Jakes (they were not harmed in this project)
• Candy’s head
• Instant Mold (Yay Cloning!)
• Winterguard Standard bearer (Still don’t actually have Winterguard in my army)
• Cork, sand (for the base)
• Greenstuff, or stuff like it (this is most of the model)
to my Grinder
Then with some bits of cork, greenstuff and sand I made them the base. No picture here but they’ll show up later soon enough.
Next up is the bulk of this project, cloning.
I happened to have the small tray shown above (think it was from a dollar store) and it made it easier to keep the Instant Mold in check while it did it’s thing. Instant Mold it this:
and you use it like so:
To make a “360” mold what I did was press the model into the mold, let it harden. heat up a different piece of instant mold, press it into the model already in the the first mold so it’s completely covered, let it harden.
This will prevent the two halves from sticking together too badly.
Extract the model, it might be a little tricky.
I also made casts of Malakov, one 360, another two of each side of their body.
The next step can be a little tough, mostly cause you have to wait to see if something went wrong.
I cut the Malakov casts into specific parts (chest, boots, coattail, etc…) and applied a little greenstuff inside them and pressed them into the appropriate Jakes clone part:
put on the hat and apply them to the body:
a little greenstuff for the hair and collar:
Here is the final result:
See a 360 view GIF here.
And that was the bodging process of these two.
T’was a Bodgin’